Clamshell Roof Top Tent – Black Series
Designed and manufactured in South Africa, the Bush Company Clamshell Roof Top Tent – Black Series edition is unrivalled in its quality, simplicity and practicality. With a setup/pack down time of under 90 seconds and a 75mm high density foam mattress 1.3m wide and 2.15m long, this really is the ultimate in comfort and convenience and a superb addition to any camping/touring setup. Three large doors provide excellent airflow and all have high quality midge mesh and a canvas door. There is 12V power pre-installed, including an LED light in the roof of the tent, and 1.8m extruded roof rails as well as heavy duty extruded rails on the underneath of the tent making fitment to vehicles or canopies incredibly easy.
Check out the product review video below or click here
There are a range of brackets available for fitment of accessories including:
- Heavy duty brackets for mounting awnings directly to the sides of the tent.
- Fan Bracket to mount a Sirocco fan to internal roof.
- Load Bars to attach to the roof rails.
- MAXTRAX Load Bar Bracket for mounting up to 4 recovery tracks on the roof
Length: External 2.25m / internal (mattress length) 2.15m
Width: External 1.4m (1.48m inc. gas struts) / internal (mattress width)1.3 m
Height (exterior, closed): 25cm inc. roof rails and base extrusions
Height (exterior, open): 1.36m
Height (interior, open): 1.32m
Weight: Approximately 90kg (exc. telescopic ladder).
Black Series Clamshell Roof Top Tent Key Features
- Fast set-up and pack down time – less than 90 seconds.
- Frame outer dimensions: 225cm L, 140cm W (add,15mm each side for gas struts) 25cm H
- Fully welded 2mm aluminium base frame and roof frame powder coated black.
- Chequer plate 1.5mm floor and roof.
- Internally reinforced roof load rated to 200Kg when roof closed.
- Extruded roof rails 2m long on both sides, suitable for M8 bolts.
- Heavy duty gas struts on both sides, can support up to 50Kg of additional weight on roof when open.
- Internal LED light (White and Yellow) and pre-installed 12V wiring using Anderson plugs underneath and inside the tent.
- Internal opening height of 1.32m when open at head end from top of mattress to roof.
- Heavy duty 460g ripstop, mould resistant canvas.
- Large easy set up rain fly on rear and sides of tent.
- 75mm super high density foam mattress 130cm W and 215cm L with removable canvas cover.
- 12cm of storage space above mattress when tent is closed.
- Thermal marine carpet underneath mattress and carpeted internal roof
- Heavy duty fly screen mesh on all entry points
- Collapsible 2.6m aluminium ladder with attachment points at rear and drivers’ side, comes with canvas storage bag.
- YKK zippers used on fly screens and canvas door openings
- Internal storage pockets on roof and also on sides.
- Four extruded rails underneath tent running crossways for easy fitment to vehicles.
- Total weight including all features except the ladder is 90Kg.
- 2 Year Nationwide Warranty.
Roof Top Tent Dimensions & External Features
Designed and manufactured in South Africa the Clamshell Roof Top Tent – Black Series is a superb addition to any 4WD touring set up and presents a lower profile than standard roof top tents. The frame of the tent has outside dimension of L 225cm W 140cm (145cm including gas struts) and H 25cm (including the roof rails). The frame of the tent is folded 2mm aluminium with fully welded seams and corners. The base and roof frames are powder coated black with a rippled finish, the top section of the roof and the base are 1.5mm checker plate. Inside, the roof has 5 aluminium cross sections on the inside to provide additional strength, allowing up to 200Kg of weight to be carried on top of the tent when closed, and the gas struts will still open the tent with up to 50Kg lon the roof. The inside of the roof is also fully carpeted providing additional thermal properties that assist in reducing condensation. The two extruded 1.8m roof rails take an M8 bolt for attachment of accessories such as a solar panels or eye bolts to provide perfect tie down points.
The heavy duty gas struts on either side of the tent allow for easy put-up by one person in under 90 seconds. When packing away there is a bungee cord that goes right around the canvas to assist in pulling in the sides of the tent, and a long strap at the rear of the tent for starting the closure of the roof. The tent has a fully waterproof and dust-proof automotive grade rubber seal when closed and there are two adjustable lockable catches on the rear edge and two sturdy handles.
Underneath the tent there are four 50mm wide extruded heavy duty aluminium rails that run cross ways underneath the tent. These extrusions take an M8 bolt and make fitment of the tent to roof racks, roof bars or canopies really straightforward. The outer rails are 423mm from the outside edge of the frame and are 398mm apart.
Roof Top Tent Canvas and Internal Features
The tent itself is made from military spec heavy duty 460g rip stop canvas that is mould resistant and rot resistant with triple stitched sealed seams. There are 3 large doors/windows each having high quality midge mesh on the outside and canvas door on the inside that zips up from the bottom, all secured with high quality YKK zippers and elasticated clips for storage when rolled up. Access to the tent can be from either the driver’s side (if tent entrance is to rear of vehicle) or to the rear using the telescopic ladder that locks in place and is stored in its own heavy duty canvas bag to ensure no sand or dirt gets in the vehicle or the tent.
There is a rain fly at the rear and on both sides of the tent, which is easily set up using to spring steel poles that are stored inside the tent when not in use. The rain fly ensures that except in driving rain conditions very little rain reaches the main body of the tent helping to eliminate damp on the outside of the walls of the tent when it comes to packing away.
The tent is pre-installed with 12V electrics; there is an LED light attached to the roof of the tent and an Anderson plug on the base of the tent at the hinge end on the passenger side. You can run a small fan or provide power to charge mobile phone, iPads etc. from inside the tent. Underneath the tent at the hinges end there is another Anderson plug which can be connected to your vehicles 12V power supply.
Inside the tent there is a super heavy-duty 75mm thick mattress that measure 130cm wide by 215cm long. The mattress is covered with a very durable canvas cover that can be removed for cleaning if required. Underneath the mattress there is a marine grade thermal carpet that provides additional padding/insulation and also help to reduce condensation build up and prevents it from reaching the mattress. Around all sides of the mattress there is a 2cm gap between the mattress and the frame of the tent which assist with airflow around the base of the mattress and also prevents moisture on the inside of the frame from reaching the mattress. There is storage for the telescopic aluminium pole at the head end of the mattress which can be used to support the roof of the tent in the very unlikely event that one of the gas struts fails or is damaged when off-road.
When open, at the head end of the tent there is a total of 132cm head room and 16cm at the very end of the tent. This makes it easy for even a tall person to kneel up inside the head end of the tent if required. Storage pockets are located on either side towards the foot end of the tent, plus there is a set of canvas storage pouches that has two zipped pockets and an open pocket, these are velcro backed so they can be located at different points of the roof to suit your needs. When the tent is closed there is a 12cm gap between the roof of the tent and the top of the mattress which is ample room to keep your bedding set up, or for storing clothes in a completely dust free environment, or providing secure storage for fishing rods or hunting equipment.
There is a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty covering the structure, fittings and canvas.